So there is some Good news and some Bad news about the bills and grants we have been working on this year.
- Good News. The state level bills HB 115 and SB 582 have passed and are sitting on Governor Larry Hogans desk.
- Bad News. The bill that made it to the Governors desk cut the planned funding for robotics across the state from $500,000 to $250,000. This is a good start, we hope that next year we can urge state level law makers to make STEM and Robotics a bigger priority and demonstrate that support through increased funding.
- CALL TO ACTION: We need everyone across the state to reach out to Governor Larry Hogan and his staff to let them know this is important and needs to be funded. To contact the Governor;
- Bad News. County Executive Isiah Leggett email@example.com chose not to fund the county level grant for robotics. If you are not happy with his decision, we recommend contacting him and voicing your concern about his position on robotics in the county.
- Good News. The Montgomery County Council is still considering the $125,000 grant that will fund FRC, FTC and FLL 2016 registration fees and fields.
- CALL TO ACTION: We need everyone across the county to contact the following county leaders to help ensure the grant is funded! Please use this template in your email.
- Council Vice President Roger Berliner Councilmember.Berliner@montgomerycountymd.gov
- Council Member Marc Elrich Councilmember.Elrich@montgomerycountymd.gov
- Council Member Nancy Floreen Councilmember.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Council Member Tom Hucker Councilmember.email@example.com
- Council Member Sidney Katz Councilmember.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Council Member George Leventhal Councilmember.Leventhal@montgomerycountymd.gov
- Council Member Nancy Navarro Councilmember.Navarro@montgomerycountymd.gov
- Council Member Craig Rice Councilmember.Rice@montgomerycountymd.gov
- Council Member Hans Riemer Councilmember.Riemer@montgomerycountymd.gov
Keep pushing, we know every Maryland student appreciates your efforts.