What a week. awards, robots, planning for districts, designing t-shirts, testing final designs, finishing cad, assembling the drive train and more all happened this week. On top of that we picked up nearly 8 new team members which brings us up to 54 students, making this the largest team we have ever had.
Let go by sub team
Awards – the awards team is putting the finishing touches on all of our awards. we have awards due on Feb 9th and Feb 16th. We also have a chairman’s video and a tech journal du by our first competition.
Planning for districts – we have a the pit map nearly worked out and are almost finished planning food. we are going to need a lot of help at our event being held at Walt Whitman High School on March 10-12.
Designing t-shirts – we are nearly done with our t-shirt design for the year. Last chance for sponsors to get on the t-shirt is Feb 12.
Testing final designs – the team spent the first part of the week nailing down the geometry for the major robot components. We are going into his season with a much better understanding of how different designs interact with the game pieces.
Finished CAD – now that our final testing is done we were able to complete our CAD. We should have something to release in the next few days.
Driver practice – drive practice continues for the 3rd strait week. But tis was by far the coldest driver practice yet. Since we set up outside things can get a little chillie. Driver practice this week could have gone better though, we were plagues by breakages of all 3 working drive trains.
Drive train – the drive train is fully assembled and functioning. We even used it for driver practice this week. We were able to identify a few problems with the design and spent some time on Saturday getting the issues fixed.
Pneumatics – As part of this year’s drive train we have had to re learn pneumatic since we have not used them in the last few years. We found a few leaks and learned how the pneumatics system as a whole worked. Our system is now leak free and functioning correctly with 4 actuators. This week we add 4 more.
Electrical – we now have our electrical board designed and mocked up. We are putting the finishing touches on the CAD and will be getting that cut this week. This will be the first time we have had a CNC electrical board and accounted for all of the wire runs and tubing runs.
Fabrication – We are up an running on one CNC machine this week and will soon have a second CNC running to do larger pieces. By this time next year the team will be able to make nearly all of our own parts as custom as we can design them. This is a big step forward for us and should result in lighter more efficient robots going forward. Also, our bumpers are nearly done.
The Robot – We are only a few days behind our schedule, but tis year’s schedule is aggressive. We want to be completely done with the primary and secondary goals by the end of week 5 so we can work on our tertiary goals during week 6 while the code and drive team work out all of the kinks.
Scouting – our lead scout has joined the drive team this year, but that has not stopped him from putting together the stats on who we will be seeing at our week 2 event.
Coding – the team has been working on the driver station UI, octocanum code, manipulator code, vision code and Ohm (our initial build). We have instituted code reviews and organized code merges. This is has been helping ensure our code team that is 8 members strong aren’t wasting each others time.
Safety – we had some serious safety issue this week so we had a complete stand down and made everyone go back through tool safety training. This was the closest we have ever been to a serious injury and definitely help put safety into perspective. We may have lost a few hours of build season, but the time spent making sure we have a safety culture is worth it.