I am sure you have heard the old adage measure twice cut once. Well tonight we learned to measure twice and rivet once. Tonight we had to remove about 50 rivets from our lift tray to get the it assembled correctly.
On a cool note. We now a 1/16 mock up of the field to play scenarios out on.
Lets see if we can get this robot assembled and driving around tomorrow.
Week 4 was a bit of a slow week as we were held for parts. But as of last night, most of our parts have come in. Woo Hooo. We have cut almost all of the pieces of the lifter and the lifting frame. we have started to modify the kit bot to be a Mullet H drive. and we have started to combine all of the bearings and spacers to make the lift glides. We had one Uh Oh moment when our long belt supplier came back with a 5 week lead time. We were not able to find a suitable replacement so we are going to modify our design a bit to accept an open belt solution for the long lift belt.
Another cool thing that happened this week was that our IR sensors came in. We ordered 10 of them to place around the robot to help us determine lift location. We are going to use them in autonomous to guide the lift motors and in teleop to make a hybrid autonomous controls to help the manipulator. The coding team was also able to get both the drive encoders working and the roborio accelerometers integrated into the drive code. this will allow us to control our direction a bit better and put a max acceleration and de-acceleration limit on the drive to help keep the tote stack from tipping.
By the end of this weekend we should have all of our primary mechanical goals built and working. As a reminder here is what they were.
Half U frame with Inline 6.
Belt driven fork lift
Static arms similar to Andy mark 3 day fork lift that can lift both tubs and cans
4 x CIM drive motors
Belt driven fork lift
The team has added one goal to this list that will also be incorporated by Monday. A feeder intake ramp.
If the team is able to get this done by monday they can work on the secondary mechanical objectives.
Modify into H drive
Add alignment arms
2 x Banebot for H drive
2 x Banebot for alignment arms
Our one man awards team is kicking it into high gear this week and will have drafts of all of the award documents ready for review by the end of week 4. Go team Samad.
One last piece of exciting news is that we picked our drive and coaching team. Now they get to start doing the following:
Here are some Photos and updated videos for the week.
Wow did we accomplish a lot in week 3. Field elements built, secured Booze Allen Hamilton as a sponsor, finished another drive train, finished CAD, held a design review, coded all but one primary code element, started driver tests, started award documents and held a Mama Lucia’s Fundraiser. We did all of this in 6 days because we had one snow day. This is what we call turning up the VOLTAGE on team 1389. Three more weeks to go till we ship the bot!!!
Here are some pics of the team in action.
Here are some videos of the testing we did and the test bases we are working on.
The team is working on field elements, lifter prototypes, bearing prototypes, feeder station intake prototypes and all kinds of other fun things. A Big Thanks to Castlewood Builders for the wood donation yesterday. We are using the wood to make field elements, mobile pit and shelves for the lab.
The team is working on detailed prototypes, finishing up our cad and putting our part orders together.
Here is a quote from one of our mentors this week.
“I dropped by for just 20 minutes and was so impressed with the number of
students and their focus at completing different tasks. Drive train,
programming, electronics, field elements — in my four years of mentoring,
I have never seen quite a site.
We are doing something right!”
Here are some Pictures from this week
We added a few more videos to our season 2015 playlist.
The team is hard at work making prototype intakes, lifters, electrical boards, code…..and all kinds of other things. This year the team is really bring a lot more energy to the table. Bonus, last night we started working on our awards, one of our alumni was their to help the team get started.
The team has made a few concepts that we are using as ways to test ideas virtually. Here are some of the concepts we have been working on.
We have created a team calendar that has all of the team meetings, competitions and other events. We will be adding the volunteer assignments, locations, and event details to the calendar over the next week so that all of our team mates will only have one place to go for information.